Community and local energy strategy
The strategy demonstrates a clear commitment to our customers in this exciting and rapidly changing area.
It was developed in consultation with our stakeholders to ensure it addresses the issues they are facing and to make sure our response is well informed.
Consultation with our stakeholders identified three key areas which are addressed in our strategy:
Better access to Electricity North West
- We have developed a community and local energy engagement plan to make sure our communications are accessible to community and local energy groups
- In 2017 we appointed a community energy manager as a new role and dedicated point of contact with responsibility for delivering our strategy
- In 2018 we launched a community and local energy newsletter to help us keep our stakeholders up-to-date with our activities in this sector across the region
- We have launched a series of ‘Community Connects’ workshops, aimed at increasing capacity and skills within the community and local energy sector.
Financial support for community energy projects
- We will support community and local energy groups in developing new ways of working to help develop new business models and access other sources of funding
- Community and local energy projects may offer a better business case than traditional network reinforcement or could help avoid electricity losses; we will review these on a project-by-project basis with a view to providing financial support
- We have launched our 'powering our communities fund' to support projects that put community and local energy at the heart of their communities.
Engaging with stakeholders on regulatory issues
- We will work with community and local energy groups to further develop our collective understanding of regulatory issues, with the aim of identifying a number of actions to address them
- We will use our understanding of the regulatory regime and combine it with the experience of community and local energy groups to identify actions that could help tackle the issues
- We will hold a workshop or meeting with interested and informed stakeholders to develop our shared understanding of regulatory challenges.
Find out more by downloading the strategy document below.