Third party connections
General requirements for network extensions must be detailed in a series of specifications, including how they are:
- put into service by others
- intended for adoption.
Specifications summarised in ES210 - New connections, extensions and alterations are voltage and application specific and detail the accreditation requirements for installers, their staff and the approval process necessary for the design.
Detailed standards are specified in the following:
- ES211 - Design specification for third party provided new connections of street electrical fixtures
- ES212 - Design specification for third party provided new whole current metered connections up to 60kVA
- ES213 - Design specification for third party provided new connections for housing developments
- ES214 - Design specification for third party provided new LV connections of up to 300kVA capacity
- ES215 - Design specification for third party provided new connections of up to 1500kVA capacity
- ES216 - Design specification for third party provided new 11/6.6kV connections of up to 9MVA (6.6kV) or 15MVA (11kV) capacity
- ES217 - Design specification for third party provided 33kV new connections up to 90MVA
- ES218 - Design specification for third party provided new connections from either bulk supply point (BSP) transformers with a capacity up to 120MVA (33kV) or from the 132kV network with a capacity up to 240MVA
- ES259 - Generation connected to the Electricity North West distribution network
- ES287 - Connections to Multiple Occupancy Buildings
- ERG81 - Framework for design and planning, materials specification, installation and records. The Electricity North West specific appendices for ERG81 are contained within ES281 - Parts 1 to 6
- ERG83 - Recommendations for the connections of small scale embedded generators up to 16A per phase
- ER G87 - Guidelines for the Provision of Low Voltage Supplies to Multi Occupancy Buildings.
Switchgear for the 132, 33, 11 and 6.6kV and distribution networks shall be purchased in accordance with the appropriate specifications listed below:
- ES310 - Gas insulated 132kV switchgear
- ES312 - 36kV single busbar indoor switchgear (cable connected)
- ES313 - 6.6kV and 11kV single busbar indoor switchgear (cable connected)
- ES314 - 12kV and 7.2kV 21.9kA switchgear.
Specifications cover the standard ratings for switchgear for both normal load and short circuit current.
At 11 and 6.6kV all switchgear will be short circuit rated at 21.9kA as a standard, and at 33kV the minimum short circuit rating will be 17.5kA.