Over the next 25 years the population of the North West is expected to grow by 10%. We also face the challenge of making the transition to a low carbon future. To meet government carbon reduction targets we all need to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels like gas and petrol and change to renewable sources such as wind and solar power. This means that as a country the demand for electricity could double by 2050 which will have a significant impact on the electricity network.
The changes we will need to make in the way we manage energy in the future will have a huge impact on the electricity network:
- Our reliance on fossil fuels to power our homes and businesses will change to renewable sources
- We may install solar cells to reduce our energy bills and our carbon footprint
- We may want to sell any unused power from solar panels back to the Grid
- We will need charging points to charge our electric cars
- Business customers will need to have charging points for company vehicles in car parks, and for cars belonging to employees and customers.