09/01/15: Severe weather update – 15:00
Engineers from Electricity North West have worked through the night and day to restore power to almost all of the 630 properties affected by the severe weather.
The remaining 30 customers, located near Penrith and Ambleside, will be restored as soon as possible this evening.
Electricity North West will continue to closely monitor the weather and extra engineers are on standby throughout the weekend to help restore power and repair weather related damage to the overhead power lines and underground cables.
High winds can cause trees and debris to blow into overhead power lines, causing power cuts. The power company is urging people to stay away from any fallen power lines and report any network damage to them as soon as possible.
Electricity North West operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to respond to incidents and keep customers updated about any issues on the network.
Further weather warnings are in place for the weekend, from 3pm Friday until 9am Saturday morning with the potential for heavy showers and snow and ice on high ground.
Electricity North West’s partners, the British Red Cross are also on standby to offer extra support to vulnerable customers. Vulnerable customers, including some older or disabled people, or those with a medical dependency on electricity, can sign up to the Priority Services Register by visiting www.electricitynorthwwest.co.uk/priority or contacting us on 0800 195 4141.
To report a power cut or damage to the power network call Electricity North West on 0800 195 4141, follow us @ElectricityNW or visit www.electricitynorthwest.co.uk.
What to do if you have a power cut:
• Keep your freezer and fridge door closed to prevent defrosting
• Leave a light on so you know when power is restored
• Use a battery operated or wind-up torch. If you don’t have access to either, please take care when using candles.
• Check on your elderly or sick neighbours and relatives
• Make sure electrical appliances, such as cookers, electric fires etc are turned off
• Join our Priority Service Register if you need extra support electricitynorthwest.co.uk/priority
• If you need any advice ring us 24/7 on 0800 195 4141 or follow @ElectricityNW
Go back to all news articles