31/10/2012: £250k improvements set for Swinton electricity network
A major £250k engineering project to secure and improve the electricity supply to more than 10,000 residents in Swinton, Salford has started this week (Monday 29th October).
The project, which is being carried out by Electricity North West, the company that owns and operates the regional power network, will install 2km of improved underground cable between Bridge Street and Carr Street substations.
The new cable will provide additional network security as engineers work to replace equipment which faulted earlier this month. The installation of the cable will ensure that local residents and businesses will receive an uninterrupted supply of electricity as work is carried out.
Mark Williamson, area manager at Electricity North West, said: “This work is vital to ensure customers in Swinton continue to receive a reliable and efficient supply of electricity as we replace the faulty equipment.
“We have already diverted supplies from another nearby substation to keep power to local residents, but that is only a temporary solution.
“Our engineers regularly visit substations across the North West to make operational checks and to carry out regular maintenance as part of an ongoing programme.
“We have worked hard to minimise disruption as much as possible by scheduling work to take place during the school half-term and at weekends in order to avoid delays.”
The following work has been scheduled:
- 29th October – 3rd November - work will be carried out around St Mary’s RC Primary School on Milner Street.
- 4th and 11th November - temporary traffic lights will be in place on the crossing of Chorley Road and Pendlebury Road.
- 5th - 9th November – work will be carried out on Pendlebury Road.
- 5th – 9th November – work will be carried out on Stanwell Road.
- 12th – 16th November – footpath closure on entry between Chorley Road to Stanwell Road.
- 18th November – temporary traffic lights will be in place on the crossing of Swinton Hall Road, Park Street and Bridge Street.
- 19th – 21st November – work will be carried out on Park Street.
- 19th – 28th November – work will be carried out on Deans Road.
- 25th November – temporary traffic lights will be in place on the crossing of Partington Road and Stanwell Road.
- 28th– 30th November- work will be carried out on Carr Street.
- 29th – 30th November – work will be carried out on Ellesmere Street outside the Carr Street substation.
Parking will be affected and residents have been notified. There will be no road closures in place, but roads will be narrowed to one lane in both directions.
If anyone living in the Swinton area has any queries about the project, they are advised to call Electricity North West on 0800 195 4141.
Go back to all news articles